Time has really flown by since Morton's second birthday. Since his last birthday, Matt and I celebrated 2 years of marriage, I got laid of from my job, and we moved/settled down in Brooklyn, NY.
Of course, we moved Morton with us -- he and Matt drove up together. He is such a sweet (and yet sometimes really annoying) member of our family. I love him to pieces.
Watch out, ladies -- this handsome fella just turned 3, which is 21 in dog years.
For Morton's birthday this year, we bought him some new organic treats and a new bed. We threw out his old bed after he had chewed it up, and it's about time he had a replacement. We made a trip over to Marshall's because they have really affordable prices on dog beds -- we got this one for $16!
I also whipped up some quick doggie "pupcakes" for him, which he LOVED.
Makes 6 pupcakes
- 1/2 cup flour of your choice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup canola oil or melted butter (I used Earth Balance vegan butter)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp local honey (no sugar added)
- 2 1/2 tbsp peanut butter
- 3 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1 bone-shaped dog treat
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Mix together flour, baking powder, oil/butter, egg, honey, and 1 tbsp peanut butter in a medium mixing bowl
- Put 6 cupcake liners in a cupcake/muffin pan
- Spoon mixture into liners, filling a little more than halfway
- Bake for 10-12 minutes
- Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes
- To make the "icing", mix the remaining peanut butter with the Greek yogurt in a small mixing bowl
- Using a spatula or a knife, spread "icing" onto cooled cupcakes, top with a treat -- and serve!
I was really impressed with Morton's obedience/patience with me when I told him to "stay," "sit," and "leave it." I HAD to take pictures of this cuteness, though. I mean... look at him!
As soon as I said, "go!" He was all over that pupcake. He even licked the plate clean!
Happy Birthday, Morty!! We love you so much.