I know, I know. How stereotypical for me to love October... But whatever! I LOVE it! It's my very favorite month and here's why (in no particular order):
1. Pumpkin Spice Lattes - Need I say more? In the fall, I love pumpkin-flavored anything, but the PSL has a special place in my heart. Of course, Starbucks has their version, but at 300 calories for a "tall," I try to steer clear of that one. There are a lot of good recipes out there for healthier versions-- try Amy's from Foods for the Soul. This one doesn't have all the added sugars and can be made with dairy free milk as well as regular coffee (as opposed to espresso).
2. The Change of Colors - It brings so much joy to my heart when I begin to see the summer green fade into all the shades of fall: oranges, reds, browns. It's so earthy and natural feeling, and for whatever reason it makes me really happy.
3. Fall Leaves - I love hearing the crunch of fall leaves beneath my feet as I take Morton for a walk. I love raking leaves (weird, I know) and then jumping in them, and I love picking them up and studying their architecture. Fall really gives me an appreciation for nature that I don't always have in the summer. That could be because of the outrageous summer temperatures here in TX, but I digress... Fall leaves: love 'em.
4. Mom's Excitement - My sweet momma loves fall even more than I do. She definitely fostered my love for it growing up. Every year, on the first really crisp day, she sings me her "Fall song." It's silly and a little pitchy, but I look forward to it every year.
5. Boots! - It is officially socially acceptable for me to wear boots whenever I want to, even if it is still 80 degrees outside.
6. Seasonal Produce - Fall harvest is here, and it brought so many delicious and natural treats! Candy aside, there are so many tasty things to eat beginning in October: pumpkin, squash, apples, pears, mushrooms, shallots, sage, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, figs, and more! With all this fresh, in-season produce, my family eats well in October. For fall recipe ideas, checkout my Pinterest page.
7. Cooler Temperatures - If you live up north, you're probably already feeling them, but here in TX, we will probably experience our first chilly days this month. This means sweaters and scarves!
8. Warm Feelings - October stirs up a lot of gracious, thoughtful, warm feelings inside me. October makes me want to slow down and appreciate life, read a book, grab coffee with a friend, and/or take a long walk with my husband. It's refreshing, really. October means, "You've made it!" The year is almost over and all that's left is the good stuff: family gatherings, good food, cooler temperatures, Christmas, etc.
9. Family Gatherings - There's a big hiatus in my family's get-togethers between Easter and Halloween. October reins us back in. October begins season of hugs. I appreciate that about you, October.
10. Bonfires and Hayrides - Growing up, my family used to get together on my grandparents' property to celebrate fall/Halloween around a bonfire. We would ride 4-wheelers, shoot BB guns at bat targets (no real bats were harmed), roast marshmallows, and sleep in the hay. It was my favorite get-together of the year! Now that we're all grown up, we don't go all out anymore. But we still have hayrides sometimes and we always have a bonfire!
What are your favorite things about fall/October?