My friends at Natural Balance Foods sent me a variety pack of these lovely things last week, and I'd love to share my thoughts on them with all of you guys.
To start with, let's just talk about how cool I felt when I saw that they were made in the UK. I don't know what it is about Americans (or maybe it's just me), but stuff from the UK automatically gets +10 cool points. The company is really big on using natural ingredients, so each bar isn't loaded with a bunch of chemical additives -- which is awesome.
I will say that the protein content isn't as high as say a Quest Bar or a Cliff Builder bar, but I don't think that's their intention. I'd consider this more of a snack than a post workout or recovery bar.
It's low calorie, gluten free, dairy free, and has no sugar or syrup added to it. The texture is soft. It kind of feels like a raw dessert -- similar to my Raw Chocolate Covered Cherry bites.
I'm a big fan of these guys, and here's how I would rank the flavors that I tried:
- Cocoa Mint - This flavor combo is always a favorite of mine - decadent and refreshing
- Pecan Pie - Yum. I'm from Texas, so this felt like a little piece of home for me.
- Cocoa Delight - All about that chocolate
- Cocoa Crunch - Yeah... I like chocolate. This one was (obv) crunchier
- Berry Delight - Light, sweet, crowd-pleaser
- Strawberry Crunch - All these fruity ones are pretty similar
- Apple Crunch - Like a healthy apple pie
- Gingerbread - Just the perfect amount of ginger
- Cocoa Orange - This was surprisingly pretty good. The flavors blended really well.
- Cashew Cookie - Personal opinion, not a big fan of cashews
- Rhubarb and Custard - Super weird aftertaste
- Caffe mocha - I am not into coffee flavored things. It tastes burnt to me. If you like coffee flavored things, you may love this one, but it's not for me.
Have y'all ever tried these before? What are your thoughts on the more natural snack bars? Let me know in the comments!