Valentine's Day is right around the corner, and for those of us who are super conscious of what we eat (summer bodies are made in the winter, remember?), we don't want to over splurge on this holiday.
Enter chocolate strawberry protein cupcakes. I got my first tub of Quest protein this week, and gosh I'm head over heels in love with this stuff. I got the Chocolate Milkshake flavor -- such a good choice. I think this will probably replace my standard Cellucor Whey Protein in Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough flavor for the time being. It does so well for baking and for pancakes. It also straight up tastes like a milkshake when mixed with water for a post-workout protein boost.
I highly recommend giving it a try. This is the only flavor I've tried, but I'd love to hear what you guys think of the others if you've tried them! You can buy their proteins online on their website & on GNC's site, and most GNCs carry it now in store, if you want to pick it up in person.
Note: Quest isn't paying me anything to write this. I just freaking love their products (if you haven't already noticed). They taste amazing, and the protein/carb ratio is fantastic!
This is an adaptation of their Chocolate Lava Cake recipe that came in the booklet attached to the protein tub. This started as a recipe fail, but ended up being delicious and probably more portable/longer lasting than the molten lava cakes.
You can eat these without icing, if you want, but I think the icing makes them a little more festive for Valentine's Day. It also adds a little more body to the flavor of the cake as a whole.
Ingredients for Cupcakes:
- 1 scoop Quest Chocolate Milkshake Protein Powder
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp stevia (or coconut sugar, if you don't like the taste of stevia)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for Icing:
- 2 tbsp vanilla protein powder (I used Gold Standard 100% Whey)
- 2 tsp stevia (again, could sub in coconut sugar)
- 2 tbsp nonfat plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 strawberries, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare a cupcake baking dish by spraying 4 of the circles with coconut oil spray (I use Pam)
- In a medium bowl, mix chocolate protein, coconut flour, cacao powder, stevia, baking powder, and salt
- Add in the almond milk, water, egg, and vanilla extract
- Mix well
- Pour mixture into the prepared cupcake circles
- Bake for 6 minutes
- Remove and let cool before topping with icing
- For the icing: simply mix all the ingredients together and top with the diced strawberries
I don't know if they would be as moist with another chocolate protein, so I would recommend using the same one I used. I've noticed that some proteins bake much better than others. For instance, GNC Wheybolic Extreme 60 tastes like cardboard when baked. Tone It Up's Perfect Fit protein bakes well, but it definitely has a chalky aftertaste.