Pearfectly-- get it? Cuz it has pears in it.
Whenever I go to potluck dinners or big picnics, I try to make sure to bring something light and healthy. That way I know if nothing else, I can eat what I brought.
If you're headed out to a Labor Day picnic today or even if you're just chillin at home (like me!), I highly recommend prepping this salad.
The blend of minty garlic with the sweetness of soft pears -- gosh. Yes.
Let's just get to the point.
Ingredients (serves 1 person -- multiply for more people):
- 2 cups baby kale
- 1 yellow pearl onion (the tiny baby kind) -- could use a big onion if you're multiplying this to share with people
- 1/2 pear (Pick your favorite kind. I just got the kind that was on sale)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 2 sprigs of fresh mint leaves, cut into small pieces
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- a pinch of salt
1. Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. (FYI: this is my very favorite dressing)
2. Place kale leaves in a mixing bowl and pour dressing on top.
3. Massage the kale dressing into the kale as if you're kneading dough. This is a total game changer for kale -- really eliminates a lot of the bitterness and helps soften the leaves.
4. Wash your hands with soap. They'll be really oily from the kale massage, but the soap will help get that off :)
6. Mince the onion and throw it in.
5. Cut a fresh pear in half. Dice one half and snack on the other half. Add the diced half into the salad.
6. Add in your nuts. If you want even more healthy fat, you could throw half an avocado in here.
7. Mix it all up!
That's it. So simple, and yet so good. The mint and lemon make the salad feel super light, and the pear adds a layer of sweetness.
Guys, I really think this is my favorite salad that I've ever made.
Let me know if you try it!
Oh, and happy Labor Day! What are y'all doing with your day off?